Sunday, August 17, 2008

Aalto Reinterpretation by Jan Čtvrtník


Some of you may have already seen
Jan Ctvrtnik's reinterpretation of Aalto's vase on the web. Being that I am the proud owner of an original Aalto vase, and a huge fan of the Finnish architect's work; I just could not help but post this, belated but, brilliant iteration for all of you to see... I want one.

Visitors of the Droog website have chosen ‘Droog Aalto’, a vase design by Jan Čtvrtník, with 32% of all votes as the winning proposal for the Climate Competition.

Designer Rachel Hevic reached up to the second-favourite with her proposal of ‘Large red switch’ (23% of the votes). Third place comes for Jenny Bergström with ‘This is the air we breathe...’ (15% of all votes). Droog initiated the competition for which anyone could submit any idea in any possible form, as long as it concerned the ‘climate’ theme.

Jan Ctvrtnik: ‘I realised that climate changes are visualised mostly by numbers and scientific measurements. In order to show changes, it is good to have a reference point.’ And so the Aalto vase became that reference point with its shape originating from the shape of a Finnish lake. The ‘Droog’ part of the title can be translated as ‘Dry’, obviously relating to global warming.



Originally Czechoslovakian, Jan Ctvrtnik currently lives and works in Pordenone, Italy. After studying design in Prague and at IKDC in Lund (Sweden), he is now working as an industrial designer for Electrolux. New experiences trigger his inspiration: ‘I am trying to think different. Quite often I propose strange, odd and crazy ideas. After that I cut the “wings of imagination” and step by step refine something new but reasonable. I love doing something what I have never done before. I love the process of learning and exploring connections between subjects and surrounding space.’




text & images via: bustler

No comments: